- Kiona-Benton City School District
- Series 1000 - Board of Directors
1440 - Minutes
Section: 1000 - Board of Directors
The secretary of the board or his/her designee will record the minutes of all board meetings. Minutes become official after approval at the board’s next regularly scheduled meeting and must be retained as a permanent record of the district. Minutes must be comprehensive and will show:
- The date, time and place of the meeting;
- The presiding officer;
- Members in attendance;
- Items discussed during the meeting and the results
of any voting that may have occurred;
- Action to recess for executive session with a
general statement of the purpose;
- Time of adjournment; and
- Signature of presiding officer and date minutes approved.
- School Board minutes are to be considered comprehensive and not verbatim.
When issues are discussed that may require a detailed record, the board may direct the secretary to record the discussion. Audio or video recordings will be maintained on file as follows:
- If the recording is transcribed verbatim (word for
word), the recording must be retained for one (1) year; or
- If the recording is only used as a reference to create written minutes, the recording must be retained for six (6) years.
Unofficial minutes will be delivered to board members in advance of the next regularly scheduled meeting of the board and will also be available to other interested citizens. Minutes need not be read publicly, provided that members have had an opportunity to review them before adoption.
A file of permanent minutes of all board meetings will be maintained in the District Office to be made available for inspection upon the request of any interested citizen. Except as otherwise provided by law, permanent minutes will not be destroyed until approved for destruction by the appropriate district personnel. Permanent minutes should be preserved in a manner that protects them from loss.
6570 – Property and Data Management
RCW 28A.400.030 Superintendent’s duties
RCW 40.14.070 Destruction, disposition, donation of local government records – Preservation for historical interest – Local records committee, duties – Record retention schedules – Sealed record
RCW 42.32.030 Minutes
2010 – April Issue
Adoption Date: 12.20.99
Kiona-Benton City School District
Revised Dates: 05.29.12; 11.9.15