Local EP&O Levy
On February 14, 2023, residents within the Kiona-Benton City School District approved a two-year Educational Programs and Operations (EP&O) Levy. The 2023 levy replaced the expring levy previously approved in April 2021.
Levies are locally approved measures used to support local students and pay for programs not fully funded by the state. The Ki-Be replacement levy helps pay for:
- Advanced courses
- Extracurricular activities
- Music and the arts
- Safety staff
- Special education
- Smaller class sizes
- Technology support
What Will the Levy Fund?
2023 Levy Quick Facts
- Kiona-Benton City School District has a two-year EP&O levy on the February 14th election
- A levy is a locally-approved tax based on property values
- Total Levy Collection Amount:
- 2024 = $1,747,483
- 2025 = $1,870,680
- Proposed Levy Tax Rate = $1.50 per $1,000 assessed property value (collected in 2024 and 2025)
- Projected tax rates are based on the total assessed property value of the entire district.
- School tax rates for Benton City have been on a steady decline since 2017.
- The levy pays for educational programs not fully funded by the state, including athletics, music, technology support, special education, smaller class sizes, nurses, counselors, safety staff, advanced courses, and extracurricular activities.
- Local dollars stay local. Levies are the only locally approved ballot measures that directly pay for the extracurricular, classroom, and educational needs that state dollars do not fund.
- Residents 61 years of age or older, or individuals who have a disability may qualify for a tax exemption. Make sure to contact the Benton County Assessor’s Office for more info at 509-735-2394 or visit dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2022-02/PTExemption_Senior.pdf.
- Are you registered to vote? You can register in-person or online at VoteWA (sos.wa.gov)
- The last day to register online is February 6 or February 14 in-person
- Ballots are mailed about three weeks prior to election day
- Look for your ballots in the mail after January 24th
^ The State Schools Tax listed for 2024-25 is estimated based on the current projected rate. Rates shown are per $1,000 of assessed property value.
- The estimated tax rate for the EP&O Levy is $1.50 per $1,000 of assessed property value.