What is Child Find?
Child Find is the process of locating, identifying, and evaluating children with disabilities to ensure that they receive services to which they are entitled. Children and youth, ages birth to 21, living in the Kiona-Benton City School District who are suspected of having a disability, may be referred for a possible evaluation to determine if they are eligible for special education services.
IDEA requires all states to have a “comprehensive Child Find system” to assure that all children, birth to 21, who are in need of early intervention or special education services ae located, identified, and referred. Effort is made to reach:
- Children who reside within the School District boundaries including preschool-aged children;
- Children attending approved, nonprofit private elementary and secondary schools located within the District boundaries;
- Highly mobile children (such as homeless, foster care, and migrant children)
- Children who have a disability and may need special education services even though they are advancing from grade to grade; and
- Children at home or home-schooled.
Do you have a question about your child’s development? Contact the Kiona-Benton City School District Special Services at 509-588-2024 if:
- You have questions whether your child has a disability.
- You are concerned about your infant, toddler, or preschooler’s development.
- You know your child has a disability and are looking for appropriate educational services.
- You would like to know how to help your school age child succeed in school.
Evaluations for infants and toddlers: The Kiona-Benton City School District, in contract with ESD 123, offers free of cost evaluations for infants and toddlers, birth through three. This evaluation will help you to determine if your child is following a typical pattern of development. If appropriate, ESD 123 will provide early intervention help for your child. For questions or assistance, contact the Early Childhood Special Education Administrator, at the Educational Service District 123, at 509-544-5744.
Three to five year olds: Developmental screenings and evaluation are provided by Kiona-Benton City School District for children, between the ages of three and five, to identify possible delays in language, motor, cognitive or social-emotional development. If you have questions or concerns about your preschooler’s development, or to refer a child for evaluation, contact the Special Services Office at 509- 588-2024.
School Age Children: The Kiona-Benton City School District identifies children five through 21 who may have a suspected disability. A parent, staff member, community member, or private school staff member may refer a student at their local school by contacting the School Counselor or School Psychologist at your child’s school. If you need further assistance you may call Diann Zavala, the Director of Special Services at 509-588-2023.