Should complete the FAFSA (U.S. Citizen/ Legal Permanent Resident) OR WASFA (Undocumented WA State Resident) 

    The FAFSA (FREE Application for Federal Student Aid), should be filled out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after OCTOBER 1ST, by ALL SENIORS regardless of family income.  Federal and state funding is limited, and those who file EARLY are granted the most financial aid. By filling out the FAFSA, students can become eligible for many different financial aid programs. 

    Federal student aid covers school expenses such as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. This aid can also help you pay for a computer and dependent childcare expenses.

    There are three categories of federal student aid: grants (FREE MONEY), work-study (JOB) and loans (MONEY YOU REPAY).  There are two types of loans: subsidized and unsubsidized.

    • Subsidized loan: you are NOT responsible for interest while attending at least half-time
    • Unsubsidized loan: you are responsible for paying interest on the loan that starts accruing once disbursed

     Many colleges and trade schools require that you fill out a FAFSA form before applying for any of their own scholarships.  Many factors go into determining a student's aid including size of family, income level, number of dependents in college at the same time, etc.  Go to  OFFICIAL FAFSA WEBSITE for more information.  You can also see your high school counselor for help with filling out the FAFSA.

    REMEMBER: You must also apply for TWO FSAIDs at FSAID OFFICIAL WEBSITE (one for the student and one for one parent whose information is on the FAFSA; if the parent is undocumented, you will not use an FSAID).  
    For the latest information from the Federal Government regarding types of financial aid, how to apply for financial aid, and additional aid resources visit FEDERAL STUDENT AID WEBSITE
    To learn more about the financial aid process, see the following visual: FAFSA PROCESS VISUAL 


    The WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) allows students who aren’t eligible for federal financial aid because of immigration status apply for financial aid programs through Washington state, such as the Washington State Need Grant, in-state tuition, and State Work Study.  In order to apply for state aid through the WASFA, one must:

    • Must have attended a Washington state high school for at least 3 years and graduate from a Washington state high school

    Para más información sobre la FAFSA en español, visite: WASFA EN ESPANOL

    To complete the WASFA or get more information about the WASFA, visit: WASFA WEBSITE


Last Modified on July 23, 2018